Friday, April 18, 2014

Easter Triduum: April 17-19, 2014

JESUS' PASSION WEEK






The Pieta
_______________________________________ 


3:00 PM Jerusalem Time

________________________________________


HOW AM I DOING IN MY LENTEN JOURNEY?
So far so good!

Wednesday, April 20:  It is sometimes referred to as "Spy Wednesday."  Judas Iscariot went to the chief priests on the day before the Last Supper and offered to hand Jesus if they would give him some money.  They paid him 30 pieces of silver.  He will forever be known as the betrayer of Jesus.  His name is mentioned 22 times in the Gospels, only Peter is mentioned more.


Thursday, April 21: I am not only a faithful observant but a willing participant again this year.  In the time of Jesus, the disciples approached him and said, "Where do you want us to prepare for you to eat the Passover?"  He said, "Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, "The teacher says, "My appointed time draws near; in your houseI shall celebrate the Passover with my disciples."  During the evening Mass of the Last Supper (7:30 p.m. at my church), I was one of the 12 in the "Washing of the Feet" by the priest just like what Jesus did to His apostles.  I must confess I had a feeling I had to volunteer again this year so I prepared myself by having a pedicure.  One of the hymns sung by the choir was "Table of Plenty."


Good Friday, April 22:  The Funeral Liturgy (7:30 p.m. at my church) is a time to reach down to the depths of one's faith and come to terms with belief in life after death.  Those grieving not only look back to what was, but ahead to what is: "I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full."  Again, I'm not only an observant but a participant sinner -- I kissed the cross!  There were many faithful present at the church that there were one wooden cross and two crucifixes made available.  I was wondering and thinking if the wooden cross was made of cedar while waiting for others to finish.  The cedar was chosen to be the wood used for the cross of Jesus,  Probably not?  One of the hymns sung by the choir was, "Where you there when they crucify him (Jesus)?  I did not hear my favorite "Jesus remember me...when I come into your kingdom."

Saturday, April 23:  The Vigil, often referred to as the "wake" is a time for grieving.  It is the first ritual event after death, and it deals with the rush of grief that death bring.  The Easter Vigil will be held at my church at 8:30 p.m. this evening.
Early Christians believed that the just who died before the coming of Christ awaited redemption in a shadowy existence, described and alluded to be a prison in First Peter.  The statement in the Apostles' Creed that says "he descended into hell" refers to this belief.  In recent theology of life after death, the translation was changed to read "He descended to the dead."
Easter Sunday, April 24:  A BLESSED EASTER TO ALL!

 
Published  4/23/11  ust1611 multiply
Web Page:  Easter Triduum: April 21-23, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Easter Vigil, April 23: It was dark when I entered the church. There were many small candles for the Service of Light (Blessing of the Easter Fire) inside the basket on the table near the entrance. I took one candle, blessed myself with holy water, carefully touched the Santo Nino waiting for me at the corner wall and sat at my usual seat while waiting for the beginning of the Mass. The beginning was the First Reading of the Genesis up to the Fourth Reading of the Exodus. After the Homily, there was the Sprinkling Rite. The choir sung Lead Us, to the Water:

    Lead us to the water
    Bring us to the feast.
    Wash us in the river and
    Fill us with your peace.

    Hold us in your mercy
    Heal us with your power.
    Lift us from the darkness and
    Teach us with your love.

    Fill us with your fire
    Lead us from the night.
    Guide us in your wisdom and
    Draw us to your light.

    During the Presentation of the Gifts, the choir sung Alleluia Festivale which is so different from the usual hymn because it was so full of bouncy tune and exuberance. Joy!

    The Communion Song:

    Eat this bread,
    Drink this cup,
    Come to me and never be hungry.

    Eat this bread,
    Drink this cup,
    Trust in me and you will not thirst.

    ReplyDelete